Sunday, August 19, 2007

Scott Parties on Despite Jet-Lag


It may have been mean to put this pic on without an explanation. But, hey, what's the point of being gone if not not having to deal with people?
I am glad that I decided to bring my suit jacket, just in case- and I have already used it. My first full day in Finland I was woken and told we were to leave in 45 minutes. To what? The post-confirmation party of Niemistö family friend Katri. Her house (excuse me, manor house) was about an hour or two outside Espoo, which is a good distance when you consider the average speed on the Finnish highway is about 140 km/h (90 m/h). Said highway driving was, in itself, an experience.
The house was the Suomalainen equivalent of a plantation house, or, for those who haven't been south of the Mason-Dixon line, a very, very large Victorian in the country. There were perhaps 80 people there, with almost all of the men in suit and tie. Most of the kids were just in a collared shirt, though Teijo was in a suit. I was introduced to many family friends of both the Niemistös and Katri's family. Everyone knew some English, which varied from a well-off British or American accent to broken English with a thick accent, accompanied by the occasional Finnish word. I did surprise a few when I said (in Finnish) that I was an American, especially after we had talked for a few minutes.
Probably one of the most interesting people I met was a gun developer, who apparently has a patent being used by the European police force. He also fished, which seems to be a good conversation starter in Finland, as well as owning a "Kalashnikov vich fires shotgun shells, full auto, but much bigger than American shotgun shells." We had a good chat.
There was also much food, but nothing too different. The only thing I couldn't figure out at first was an herb butter. There was also very tasty rainbow trout, although most of the food was more wholesome and very good. As for drinking, it seems that you don't get to drink if you're under 14, as one of the girls who seemed to be about 12 was complaining that only we got some. Also, one of the boys who was with us that seemed to be 13 or 14 didn't drink, whereas Katri did and she was 14. But it wasn't heavy drinking at all, just a little. I didn't have any; as you can see in the picture I was already falling asleep WITHOUT alcohol to help me along.
I met a half dozen of Katri's friends, and we took a tour of the nearby village, which was just small enough not to actually have a downtown area, or really anything that resembled it besides a grocery and pub which happened to be next to each other. Either way, it was fun. (Yes, she did give me her e-mail)

5 comments:

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Who is the pretty girl
Scotty?

cossacks said...

Katri, and it was her party. I will elaborate in a new post

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Making friends already are we...

Hope your having fun.

Natalie said...

I'm very happy for you!